Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday afternoon: UPDATED

Things continue to improve for mom.  She walked outside this morning for therapy.  They went across the street, up some stairs, up and down a grassy hill and wandered around the gift shop before coming back.  This afternoon they worked on balance by having her stand on a foam pad and then she had to throw a beach ball back and forth to the therapist.  While she was doing that I made some smart remark and mom threw a no-look pass right at my face!  So I think she's getting better :)

Update:  This evening, Sophie (age 5) called to talk to her grandma (my mom).  Mom was telling Sophie about throwing the ball at me and Sophie said "I want to talk to Melissa about that."  Mom handed me the phone and Sophie said "Melissa!  You can't do things like that in the hospital!  Grandma has to do the things she wants to do so she can get better!"  Sophie seemed to forgive me after I apologized to grandma, but I'd better be on my best behavior from now on.

We are looking forward to the meeting tomorrow where all of mom's doctors will discuss her care.  We are hoping they will give us an anticipated discharge date so we can plan for mom's trip home.  They asked us if there was anything that mom still wanted to work on or be able to do before they sent her home, and we couldn't think of anything.  She still needs to scan to her right side where her blind spot is, but she is pretty steady on her feet, and can get in and out of chairs and bed on her own.  We think she will get outpatient therapy when she leaves so that she can continue to work on her balance and strength, but she seems like she is in good enough condition to go home soon.

1 comment:

  1. Great news! Glad Sophie's sticking up for her grandma:).

    ReplyDelete